Thursday, June 3, 2010

Horchata


If you have never tasted this sensational beverage, do yourself a favor right now and go try one at your local mexi joint. This is the top right here in the cinnamon-beverage realm as far as I'm concerned. You may have no idea what i'm talking about but I can assure you that you've been looking at horchata your whole life and just may have known it as Orange Bang's neighbor. As a freshy in college, I had never ventured over the fence to check it out. One afternoon, after surfing in Santa Cruz with my bud Jerel, we strolled downtown into Taqueria Vallarta and he ordered a large horchata and whatever it was he ate. Ever so curious I asked him what was in the silky white waterfall within the plastic fountain. "Cinnamon a...." I stopped listening and ordered a large as well and whatever it was I ate. Turns out the rest of his sentence was "...nd rice milk." Stoked. A dreamy thang horchata is. A churro in a cup as I like to call it. I've decided to put it on my mission list to find the best homemade horchata in Mexi restaurants, fairs, or wherever else it's available and make a list. If you have a favorite, lemme know! Up to this point in my search, Taqueria La Cabana on the westside of Santa Cruz, right next door to the Arrow surf shop, has the best homemade horchata I've had. Mmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment